Prohibitory orders have been imposed in Bagalkote district, Karnataka, until February 24 following a brief stone-throwing incident during a Shivaji Jayanti procession on Thursday night. The restrictions have been put in place to prevent large gatherings and maintain law and order in the area.
According to the police, eight people have been arrested in connection with the stone-pelting. Officials said the situation was quickly brought under control and no major injuries were reported. A few minor injuries were treated locally, and no serious damage to property has been confirmed so far.
The incident took place when the Shivaji Jayanti procession was passing near a mosque in the town. Some Hindu organisations alleged that stones were thrown from the mosque side and accused those inside of attacking participants in the procession. The allegations led to tension in the area for a short period.
However, the police have stated that they are still verifying these claims. Officers are carefully reviewing CCTV footage and mobile phone videos from the area to determine the exact source of the stones and identify those responsible. Authorities have said that strict action will be taken against anyone found guilty.
As a precautionary measure, additional police forces have been deployed in sensitive areas. Senior officers are conducting regular patrols to ensure peace and prevent any further incidents. Officials have appealed to the public to remain calm and avoid spreading rumours on social media, which could increase tensions.
District authorities have also held meetings with community leaders to promote peace and cooperation. They have assured residents that necessary steps are being taken to maintain harmony and prevent similar incidents in the future.
The investigation is ongoing, and police have promised to provide updates as more details emerge.