India has informed Somali authorities about the hijacking and pirate attacks involving two ships carrying a total of 22 Indian sailors. The incidents took place separately in waters near Yemen and Somalia.
According to Indian authorities, all the Indian crew members are safe. The government is closely monitoring the situation and is working with officials in the region to ensure the safety of the sailors.
The Indian High Commission in Kenya shared information about the incidents on social media. It said that the matter had been discussed with Somali authorities and that India remains committed to protecting Indian seafarers working in dangerous waters.
One of the vessels involved is MT Sibu, an Eritrean-flagged oil tanker. The ship was reportedly hijacked on August 20 in the Gulf of Aden, near Yemen. There were 20 crew members on board, including 16 Indian nationals.
The second vessel, MV Lutuf, was attacked on August 17 off the Puntland coast of Somalia. The Cameroon-flagged ship had 10 crew members, including six Indians.
The two incidents have raised fresh concerns about piracy and the safety of commercial ships operating in the region. The waters around the Gulf of Aden and the Somali coast have faced piracy threats in the past, making security an important concern for international shipping companies.
Indian authorities are paying particular attention to the safety of Indian sailors because thousands of Indians work on commercial ships around the world. Many of them travel through busy international shipping routes where they can face security risks.
During a media briefing, a spokesperson for India’s Ministry of External Affairs said that the government remains focused on the safety and well-being of Indian mariners. Officials are coordinating with relevant authorities and monitoring developments related to the two vessels.
The Indian government has also maintained communication with officials in the region to understand the situation and ensure that the crew members receive the necessary assistance.
The incidents involving MT Sibu and MV Lutuf highlight the risks faced by sailors working in waters where piracy and armed attacks remain possible. Ships passing through these areas often follow strict security measures to protect their crews.
For the families of the Indian sailors, confirmation that their relatives are safe provides some relief. However, authorities are continuing to follow the situation closely until the vessels and crew members are fully out of danger.
India’s efforts to coordinate with Somali authorities also underline the importance of international cooperation in dealing with piracy. Since commercial ships often have multinational crews and operate across international waters, governments need to work together to protect sailors and maintain safe shipping routes.
The government is expected to continue monitoring both cases and remain in contact with the relevant authorities. The main priority remains the safe return and well-being of all Indian sailors involved.