X

Ukraine Says Russian Strike on Shopping Center Kills 16

A Russian drone attack hit a busy shopping centre in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, on Friday, August 22, 2026, killing 16 people and injuring more than 130 others. Among those injured were 23 children, according to Ukrainian officials.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy strongly condemned the attack, describing it as a “cynical and despicable” act. He called for a strong international response and said those responsible should be held accountable.

The shopping centre was located around 60 kilometres from the front line. According to Ukrainian officials, the area was hit twice by drones within about half an hour.

The second attack reportedly came while emergency workers were responding to the first strike. Rescue teams were helping people who had been injured when another drone attack took place.

Videos shared from the scene showed damaged buildings, smoke and emergency workers helping victims. Rescue teams continued searching the area for people who might have been trapped or injured.

The attack caused widespread panic in the city. Residents and emergency workers faced difficult conditions as they tried to help those affected by the strikes.

Ukrainian officials also reported another deadly attack in the southern Mykolaiv region. The country’s interior minister said four more people were killed there, including three children.

Kryvyi Rih has faced repeated Russian attacks during the ongoing war. The city is the hometown of President Zelenskyy and is located away from the main areas of active fighting, but it has remained vulnerable to long-range Russian attacks.

The latest strikes have again raised concerns about the safety of civilians in Ukrainian cities. Shopping areas and other public places can become crowded, making attacks particularly dangerous.

The United Nations has said that civilian deaths in Ukraine during 2026 have reached their highest level since the war began. The figures have increased concerns about the continuing impact of the conflict on ordinary people.

Ukraine’s international partners are also preparing for further discussions about the war. The country’s allies are expected to meet on Monday to discuss additional support for Kyiv, including military and financial assistance as well as possible new sanctions against Russia.

Zelenskyy has called on Ukraine’s allies to take stronger action. He has repeatedly urged countries supporting Ukraine to increase pressure on Russia and ensure that attacks against civilians have consequences.

The latest attack comes as the war continues despite international efforts to find a solution. Both sides have continued military operations, while civilians remain at risk in many parts of Ukraine.

For families affected by the Kryvyi Rih attack, rescue and medical teams are continuing to provide assistance. Hospitals are treating the injured, while authorities are assessing the damage caused to buildings and infrastructure.

The incident has once again highlighted the heavy human cost of the war. With civilians, including children, among the victims, Ukrainian officials are calling for greater international pressure and stronger measures to protect civilian lives.

The coming days are expected to see further discussions among Ukraine and its allies about additional aid and sanctions. Meanwhile, rescue and recovery efforts continue in Kryvyi Rih and other areas affected by the latest attacks.