NewsSouth News

Tragic Loss: Kerala Girl Succumbs to Brain-Eating Amoeba Infection

In a heartbreaking turn of events, a five-year-old girl from Malappuram district in Kerala has tragically passed away due to complications arising from amoebic meningoencephalitis. Fadva, the daughter of Padinjarepeediyekkal Hassan Kutty and Fasna of Moonniyur, had been undergoing treatment at the Government Medical College Hospital Kozhikode since May 13.

Despite being on ventilator support for over a week, she succumbed to the rare brain infection caused by Naegleria fowleri, commonly known as the ‘brain-eating amoeba’. The incident underscores the importance of public awareness regarding the risks associated with freshwater exposure and the need for timely medical intervention in such cases.