National NewsNews

Wild Elephant Electrocuted by High-Voltage Wire in Assam’s Udalguri District

In a tragic incident highlighting the ongoing human-wildlife conflict, a wild elephant was electrocuted after coming into contact with a high-voltage electric wire in Assam’s Udalguri district. The unfortunate incident occurred in the early hours of Monday at a private tea garden in the Hatigarh area, near the Indo-Bhutan border.

According to Dibakor Das, the Divisional Forest Officer at Udalguri, the elephant had ventured out of the wild in search of food and accidentally touched the live wire while collecting food, resulting in its instant demise. Forest department officials promptly arrived at the scene, but the adult elephant had already succumbed to the electrocution.

This tragic occurrence follows a recent incident earlier this month where three elephants, including a mother and two calves, were also electrocuted by high-voltage wires on the outskirts of Guwahati.