Chennai NewsNews

Expansion of Smart Classrooms in Chennai Corporation Schools with French Funding

Chennai Corporation schools are set to receive an additional 400 smart classrooms, equipped with inbuilt computers and internet links, as part of a modernization project. The funding for this initiative will be a collaboration between the French development agency, Agence Française de Développement, contributing 80%, and the Smart Cities Mission providing the remaining 20%. Already having constructed about 100 smart classrooms, the Corporation aims to enhance educational infrastructure, ensuring quality education for over 1.3 lakh economically disadvantaged students.

The French agency and the National Institute of Urban Affairs officials recently visited Chennai to meet with Mayor R. Priya and Commissioner J. Radhakrishnan to assess the progress of the ongoing modernization efforts. Another phase, estimated at ₹44.6 crore, is scheduled for implementation post-January, with ₹35 crore from the French development agency and the remainder from the Smart Cities Mission. The initiative aligns with the broader goal of transforming 30% of Corporation school classrooms into smart classrooms, contributing to an improved learning environment.

Currently, seven schools have been modernized under CITIIS, funded by the French agency, while work is underway in six more, and 15 are ready for inauguration. Training programs for school principals will further complement this initiative, fostering leadership skills and enhancing the overall educational experience.